nationwide interception of Facebook & webmail logincredentials in Tunisia

Matthew Pemble matthew at pemble.net
Sun Feb 6 10:23:59 GMT 2011

On 5 February 2011 18:27, M J D Brown <mjdb at dorevale.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> LAN which
> is hiding behind a hardware firewall that Shields Up does not penetrate.

Speaking as an ex-pen tester, I'm really not certain that this is a properly
effective security test ...

> Accordingly I approved the request.  As a rhetorical question: was I
> misguided?
>
> It would seem that there is a fair concensus that the present system
> cannot be trusted at a technical level.

But here you know the CA - the NAS - and you have physical control of it.
You are trusting it for the issue of one certificate. Yes, somebody could
have subverted the NAS firmware in order to attack you but it is quite a
significant attack. Does anybody want what you have got that much?

Matthew

--
Matthew Pemble