nationwide interception of Facebook & webmail logincredentials in Tunisia

M J D Brown mjdb at dorevale.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 18:27:19 GMT 2011

A recent experience has illuminated the CA trust problem for me.  During
the installation and configuration of a Netgear NAS the default
assumption of its manufacturer-provided certificate resulted in an
complaint by IE8.  Having generated a new certificate and key using the
NAS internal firmware, Windows XP then asked me whether to trust the
internal LAN URL of the NAS device as the certificate issuing authority.
I know that nobody else can access the NAS admin area, because only I
have the key, and data transmissions are encrypted across the LAN which
is hiding behind a hardware firewall that Shields Up does not penetrate.
Accordingly I approved the request.  As a rhetorical question: was I
misguided?

It would seem that there is a fair concensus that the present system
cannot be trusted at a technical level.

Apropos the present discussion; I suggest that what we really need to
identify are the pre-conditions for trusting a certificate issuing
authority.  If there are really no circumstances in which trust could be
given, then the whole tomfoolery should be junked.  Otherwise, a new
system that respects the agreed pre-conditions would be a worthwhile
goal.

Mike.