PRISM && Excited Guardianista

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 20:06:31 BST 2013

On 08/06/13 11:41, Caspar Bowden (lists) wrote:

> Well, this CoE stuff doesn't deal with "national security" matters,
> doesn't mention FISA or FISAAA (or PAA) or comparable laws (to the
> extent there are any)

There's RIPA.

One section 8(4) warrant from the Foreign Secretary, and GCHQ can scoop
up any and all "external" traffic (anything sent or received outside the
UK).

Such a warrant could also require the networks to give them copies of
all traffic entering or leaving the UK, including content; although
historically they have preferred to collect it surreptitiously and
largely without involving the communications providers by tapping
microwave links and cables as they enter or leave the country.

Such a warrant could include the legal power to intercept all US
internal internet and telephone traffic. So collecting it isn't a legal
problem.

As to sharing the product, that's okay, see 4(1) (for the EU, needs no
UK warrant) and 5(1)(c) (for everyone else- needs 8(4) warrant). GCHQ
can obtain intercepted traffic from, or give intercepted traffic to NSA,
no problem.

But as for requesting it-  well, there's RIPA subsection 1(4):
{
(4)Where the United Kingdom is a party to an international agreement which—

(a)relates to the provision of mutual assistance in connection with, or
in the form of, the interception of communications,

(b)requires the issue of a warrant, order or equivalent instrument in
cases in which assistance is given, and

(c)is designated for the purposes of this subsection by an order made by
the Secretary of State,

it shall be the duty of the Secretary of State to secure that no request
for assistance in accordance with the agreement is made on behalf of a
person in the United Kingdom to the competent authorities of a country
or territory outside the United Kingdom except with lawful authority.
}

Not that it would be much of a duty anyway (eg a ss 8(4) warrant would
be lawful authority). but if the SoS doesn't designate an agreement,
there is no duty on him, and designating an agreement does nothing else.

I wonder, have any orders designating a UK-US agreement under ss.1(4)
been made?

Nope, just an EU-wide one.

-- Peter Fairbrother