[Debian-uk] London - Cambridge

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Tue Jul 19 00:36:34 BST 2016

On 2016-07-18 22:11 +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> On 2016-07-18 21:50, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> >]] Geert Stappers
> >
> >(Not sure if you're subscribed, so Cc-ing you.  Apologies for the
> >possible dupe.)
> >
> >>Please advice me for  London - Cambridge
> >>
> >>  * Train?
> >>  * Rental car?
> >>  * Bus?
> >>  * Special "high speed"  bus / train ?
> >
> >I'd recommend the train from London itself. From LHR/LGW, there's a bus
> >and it works, but takes a while.  Cheaper than train, though.
>
> Make sure to get an express train and not a stopper or you'll be on it all
> day.

Well. ~1hr vs ~1hr30. It's not the end of the world, but it is worth
noting that sometimes leaving london 5-10 mins later will get you to
Cambridge 20mins faster.

There is of course a train all the way from Amsterdam. Which is about
1/10th the emissions, not much slower and rather more civilised as you
get power and are allowed to take dangerous shit like water and a
penknife with you.  http://seat61.com/Netherlands.htm#by%20Eurostar
(from £47 each way).

Or you can use the 'Dutch Flyer' and get the ferry to Harwich. Slower,
but the ferry is mostly overnight, so rather civilised. Only 80% lower
emissions that way. It's a little mini-cruise as they've now got a
massive cruis-ship type ferry on that route.

Short-haul flying is pretty egregious in this case.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/