Desktop/login and network managers that 100% don't depend on systemd ?

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Sun Jun 25 20:38:20 BST 2023

On 2023-06-25 at 14:31, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2023 at 07:35:05PM +0200, lorenzo wrote:
>
>> make sure you install elogind, libpam-elogind, and libelogind0.
>> Then desktop stuff should work, including network managers.
>
> Most of that is option if you use traditional tools. I use XDM and
> Openbox here, and it works without logind of any stripe. On my
> laptop, as I've posted recently, I also use ifupdown and drive
> wpa-supplicant from its config. It's simpler than specifying a
> network explicitly for my common cases.
>
> My kids tend to use XFCE, and for that stuff, yeah, elogind is an
> unfortunate requirement. That said, as they get older they seem to
> be taking to the simpler interface I use.

FWIW, I do run with libelogind0/elogind/libpam-elogind, despite
disliking some of the behavior changes that I understand it brings with
it (though I don't remember exactly what those are, given how long it's
been since I switched from libsystemd0), and having a philosophical
objection to some ideas which I understand to be associated with the
whole user-session paradigm.

The reason why I do so is very simple. There is one single package which
I occasionally use, and when I do, rely on having available: tellico,
which I understand is part of the KDE ecosystem in some way. Currently,
that chains down through one polkit package or another (the error
message on a "remove this but keep that" attempt bottoms out with
libpolkit-qt5-1-1) to 'default-logind|logind', which means that if I
don't install a logind implementation I can't have it installed.

I'd prefer to avoid the entire logind complex(?), but as long as
packages I want are going to depend on polkit which is going to insist
on having a logind available, I don't have much choice in the matter.

--
   The Wanderer