Desktop/login and network managers that 100% don't depend on systemd ?

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Sun Jun 25 19:31:07 BST 2023

On Sat, Jun 24, 2023 at 07:35:05PM +0200, lorenzo wrote:

> make sure you install elogind, libpam-elogind, and libelogind0.
> Then desktop stuff should work, including network managers.

Most of that is option if you use traditional tools. I use XDM and Openbox
here, and it works without logind of any stripe. On my laptop, as I've
posted recently, I also use ifupdown and drive wpa-supplicant from its
config. It's simpler than specifying a network explicitly for my common
cases.

My kids tend to use XFCE, and for that stuff, yeah, elogind is an
unfortunate requirement. That said, as they get older they seem to be
taking to the simpler interface I use.

--
(defun main () (format t "Mason Loring Bliss  -  mason at blisses.org - ")
 (format t "By the mysgydynge of the sterysman, he was set vpon the pylys")