Bullseye release notes / install instructions for alternative inits

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Fri Jul 23 16:37:16 BST 2021

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 12:10:48PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Matthew Vernon - 23.07.21, 11:23:22 CEST:

> > > something in the install instructions on selecting alternative init
> > > systems, and maybe also in the release notes on how to switch an

My steps differ slightly. Before debootstrap I edit the installer’s
/usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/debian-common file (on the Ctrl-Alt-F2
console) to disable merged usr; then I switch to sysvinit after it…

> chroot-ing from within installer does not look like a to be suggested procedure

… with “in-target apt-get -y install --purge sysvinit-core systemd-”,
which has implicit “run in chroot” semantics, though lacking stdio,
and is more supported-ish. Then, I create a /target/etc/apt/preferences.d/
file to ensure systemd stays away.

Contrary to beliefs issued on d-devel recently, not every system has
been installed with usrmerge in the last years ☻

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/