Bullseye release notes / install instructions for alternative inits

Svante Signell svante.signell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 14:13:53 BST 2021

On Fri, 2021-07-23 at 10:23 +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed a new laptop using the latest Bullseye
> installer,
> and it was reasonably straightforward :) I think we at least want
> something in the install instructions on selecting alternative init
> systems, and maybe also in the release notes on how to switch an
> already-installed system?
>
> As a starter for ten, here are some rough drafts:
> [I've tested the install myself, not the upgrade]
>
> * Install instructions (
> https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/index )
>

> * Release notes (
> https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/release-notes/index )

Maybe you could also add instructions on how to avoid merged-/usr on
new installations, see
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/MergedUsr
and dpkg-fsys-usrunmess(8) on already installed systems having a
merged-/usr layout, see
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q:_Does_dpkg_support_merged-.2Fusr-via-aliased-dirs.3F