Installing sysvinit on Buster alongside Xfce, network-manager, etc?

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sat May 4 00:52:31 BST 2019

Mark Hindley writes ("Re: Installing sysvinit on Buster alongside Xfce, network-manager, etc?"):
> It is more than that. Only elogind 241.1 has full libsystemd.so ABI
> compatibility, but that has been rejected for Buster (see
> #925489). ABI compatibility is required for things like polkit to
> work with elogind without recompilation.

I saw #925489.  I think it would be possible to make an argument to
unblock it on the grounds that it won't affect anyone but non-systemd
users, and it purely helps those users.

To make that argument it wouidl be good to test it and I think that is
one of the things Jacob is trying to do...

If we don't manage to get elogind 241.1 into buster then we will have
to advise buster sysvinit desktop users to manually install an elogind
from sid, or from some other special repository (because having a
thing in sid that we are expecting people to use will stop us moving
forwards after buster is unfrozen).

Does that make sense ?

Regards,
Ian.