Installing sysvinit on Buster alongside Xfce, network-manager, etc?

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Sat May 4 00:27:07 BST 2019

On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 05:47:00PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> If all that is missing is a number of dependency alternatives, I think
> it might be worth asking the Debian release team to fix these bugs.

It is more than that. Only elogind 241.1 has full libsystemd.so ABI compatibility,
but that has been rejected for Buster (see #925489). ABI compatibility is
required for things like polkit to work with elogind without recompilation.

Without 241.1 in Buster it is difficult to get maintainers to fix the
dependencies. Bugs with patches have been opened for all the Depends and
Recommends libpam-systemd to replace that with default-logind|logind, but there
is little rush to accept the patches.

I agree that it would be great to have this working out of the box, but I am
unsure how to make any more progress for this release.

Any suggestions?

Mark