Installing sysvinit on Buster alongside Xfce, network-manager, etc?

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Sat May 4 07:20:14 BST 2019

On Sat, May 04, 2019 at 12:52:31AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I saw #925489.  I think it would be possible to make an argument to
> unblock it on the grounds that it won't affect anyone but non-systemd
> users, and it purely helps those users.

Yes, I agree. I made that point in the original request. Would you care to voice
it again? I don't want to antagonise the Release Team -- I think it is
counter-productive.

> To make that argument it wouidl be good to test it and I think that is
> one of the things Jacob is trying to do...
>
> If we don't manage to get elogind 241.1 into buster then we will have
> to advise buster sysvinit desktop users to manually install an elogind
> from sid, or from some other special repository (because having a
> thing in sid that we are expecting people to use will stop us moving
> forwards after buster is unfrozen).

Another solution might be to put 241.1 in backports.

We will still need the outstanding dependencies resolved.

Thanks for your input.

Mark