Installing sysvinit on Buster alongside Xfce, network-manager, etc?

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri May 3 17:47:00 BST 2019

Mark Hindley writes ("Re: Installing sysvinit on Buster alongside Xfce, network-manager, etc?"):
> On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 10:38:26AM +0100, Jacob Nevins wrote:
> > I'm a returning Debian user, and I'm trying for a Buster install on a
> > laptop running sysvinit and the Xfce desktop environment, including
> > conveniences like network-manager.
> Yes, it does. You will need libelogind0:i386 too.
>
> We missed the freeze for Buster, so the dependencies will not work
> with a mixed Buster/Sid install.

Which package(s) are needed from sid ?  Or to put it another way which
dependencies are wrong ?  Is it just that we didn't get all the
alternative dependencies required in all the depending packages ?

If all that is missing is a number of dependency alternatives, I think
it might be worth asking the Debian release team to fix these bugs.

> You *might* get it to work with libpam-elogind-compat from experimental. It
> should sort out the dependencies, but I haven't tried it recently.

This is probably worth trying indeed.

> You may be better with a pure sid installation which works for me.

I think there will be many users wanting to run buster with sysvinit.
We should try find a way to support them if we can, even if the way to
achieve it is a bit ugly.

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.