elogind plan

Adam Borowski kilobyte at angband.pl
Tue Dec 4 09:43:47 GMT 2018

On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 09:21:53AM +0000, Mark Hindley wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 11:27:42AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > > Do our dependencies now prevent having both systemd and sysvinit-core
> > > installed at once? When I was doing testing with early versions
> > > of our elogind packaging I started with a systemd setup and
> > > switched it over with:
> > >   apt install sysvinit-core
> > >   reboot (which will bring the system back with sysvinit as pid 1)
> > >   apt remove systemd
> > >   (then install elogind)
> >
> > Currently, you need to remove most of GUI programs as dependencies will be
> > broken between step 1 and step 4.
>
> Actually, I am not sure that is true any more.
>
> For me with systemd installed and a couple of desktops
>
>  apt-get install sysvinit-core elogind libpam-elogind libpam-elogind-compat
>
> doesn't remove anything other than systemd et al.
>
> Obviously the systemd prerm complains, but you can work around that with
> "rmdir run/systemd/system" first which circumvents the prerm check.
> Obviously you need to reboot immediately.

So you can switch, but only if you know an obscure and dangerous hack?
That's not something for the ordinary user...

(Thanks for pointing out that it _is_ possible, though -- that lets us know
where to look for a fix.)

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Ivan was a worldly man: born in St. Petersburg, raised in