elogind plan

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Tue Dec 4 16:57:07 GMT 2018

On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 10:43:47AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > Obviously the systemd prerm complains, but you can work around that with
> > "rmdir run/systemd/system" first which circumvents the prerm check.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Obviously you need to reboot immediately.
>
> So you can switch, but only if you know an obscure and dangerous hack?
> That's not something for the ordinary user...

Yes, I didn't mean this was suitable for an end user, but it was interesting (to
me at least) that a  system with systemd as PID 1 from which the rest of systemd
has been removed is not so completely broken that it can't be rebooted to get a
different init as PID 1.

I suppose a less hacky solution to replace systemd with another init is by rebooting with
init=/bin/sh, apt-get install the replacement init and reboot.

But we are getting away from my real point which was that the current
dependencies do allow this to be done, which is what Peter asked.

Mark