elogind plan

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Tue Dec 4 09:21:53 GMT 2018

On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 11:27:42AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > Do our dependencies now prevent having both systemd and sysvinit-core
> > installed at once? When I was doing testing with early versions
> > of our elogind packaging I started with a systemd setup and
> > switched it over with:
> >   apt install sysvinit-core
> >   reboot (which will bring the system back with sysvinit as pid 1)
> >   apt remove systemd
> >   (then install elogind)
>
> Currently, you need to remove most of GUI programs as dependencies will be
> broken between step 1 and step 4.

Actually, I am not sure that is true any more.

For me with systemd installed and a couple of desktops

 apt-get install sysvinit-core elogind libpam-elogind libpam-elogind-compat

doesn't remove anything other than systemd et al.

Obviously the systemd prerm complains, but you can work around that with "rmdir
/run/systemd/system" first which circumvents the prerm check. Obviously you need
to reboot immediately.

Mark