Age verification

g+ukcrypto at cobb.uk.net g+ukcrypto at cobb.uk.net
Fri Dec 2 22:49:24 GMT 2016

On 02/12/16 20:43, Mark Lomas wrote:
> A temporary secret is insufficient because an adult can give such a
> secret to a child, similar to asking your older brother to buy you some
> cigarettes.

But so are the techniques *actually* being used today for online age
verification: such as credit cards or electoral roll. So, that is not
necessarily a fatal flaw.

That is why I am interested in what research has been done: clearly no
system is perfect, but what are the actual requirements for various use
cases?

Even biometrics are not perfect: as the market in fake IDs proves.

My guess is that it is possible to make a system which proves age as
well as the classic systems without actually revealing identities or
what resources is being accessed.

Graham