Transaction history of Paywave cards

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 08:28:48 GMT 2012

On 16/12/2012 07:56, Roland Perry wrote:

"...the Paywave scheme on TfL is aimed largely at tourists (because
UK-based regulars will have season tickets or Oysters)"

Now I don't speak for TfL, nor am I in any way connected with the
project, but even so I cannot disagree more. The entire thrust of the
project in things that I see and hear is simplicity for the vast
majority of users, together with cost reduction for TfL. There may of
course be a risk of loss of loyalty to the Oyster brand as existing
users convert to using bank cards, but no matter: as I indicated
earlier, the aim is to facilitate the movement of people round London.
Visitors to the country who bring full fat bank cards should have no
problem using them on London's public transport - no need any more to
buy an Oyster.

A possible unintended consequence will be that uninformed people here in
Bristol will be less likely to demand that we have Oyster here - there
just isn't the public money to do what they really want, which is
cheaper (i.e. subsidised) travel by public transport.

Peter