NHS Number

Roger Hird rl.hird at orpheusmail.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 17:18:42 GMT 2011

In article <4D2745D1.1070106 at iosis.co.uk>,
   Peter Tomlinson <pwt at iosis.co.uk> wrote:
> Well, in late 2006 we were going to start on a 15 year
> programme to cross reference the IPS (ultimately it would be
> the ID card) database and the NI database (and have a new,
> common biometric database), and I never heard mention of the
> NHS database being involved

I was very briefly and marginally involved in thinking about
identity before the 1997 election in CITU at the Cabinet Office.
The view of those involved was that the NI number was a joke (the
story was that there were twice as many NI numbers as people who
should have them) and of little value but that the NHS number was
a lot more reliable and potentially the basis for a national
registration scheme.

Going back to the main issue - is the ability to get hold of
someone else's NHS number any sort of problem?

--
Roger Hird
rl.hird at orpheusmail.co.uk
Website: http://roger.hird.orpheusweb.co.uk