50 characters ? (was RE: Man jailed over computer password refusal

Ian Mason ukcrypto at sourcetagged.ian.co.uk
Sun Oct 17 21:36:30 BST 2010

On 15 Oct 2010, at 17:07, Roland Perry wrote:

> In article <4CB86791.3070309 at bbk.ac.uk>, ken <k.brown at bbk.ac.uk>
> writes
>
>> I genuinely can't remember my own mobile phone number
>
> This is one of the reasons I collect "vanity" domains, phone
> numbers, car numberplates etc. It's not just to show off - they are
> much more memorable for *me*.
> --
> Roland Perry
> Whose ex-boss owns AMS 1

I personally find car registration numbers easy to remember. I can
still remember the registration number of my parents car from the mid-
sixties. One of my 'random but memorable' password schemes is to
stand at the road side and record a few registration numbers,
memorise them and use the concatenated reg numbers as a password.
Calculating the entropy of a UK car registration number is left as an
exercise for the student.