Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?

James Firth james2 at jfirth.net
Wed Jul 28 18:39:04 BST 2010

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

> It's neither a Good Thing, nor lawful.

In better news today I extracted confirmation from Virgin Media that their
plans to deploy Detica's CView DPI system were still on hold:

http://www.slightlyrightofcentre.com/2010/07/trials-by-virgin-media-of-copyr
ight.html

Reading between the lines I personally don't think VM would deploy CView
unless such monitoring became defined under the shambolic and misguided
framework the Digital Economy Act defines.

And many are doing their best to prevent this by explaining, human rights
aside, that such monitoring will soon be a white elephant as the slow but
sure move towards encryption continues.

Seems I'm now vaguely involved as an interested party on the Digital Economy
All Party Parliamentary Group, as are the Open Rights Group and COADEC and
other sane lobbying groups.  The chairman Eric Joyce MP and his deputy,
Cambridge's Julian Huppert MP seem very amenable if anyone - Fipr - has a
burning urge to get involved.

James Firth