cronjobs

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Thu Mar 14 18:50:18 GMT 2024

Lorenzo,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 04:42:16PM +0100, Lorenzo wrote:
> If you agree to sponsor it I can create a package for missing
> cronjobs..

Whilst I appreciate your offer and the spirit in which it is made, I think that
is the wrong approach. I fear it would condone and invite further cronjobs to be
dropped.

AFAIU the only technical argument for dropping cronjobs when adding systemd
timers is to prevent duplicate jobs being run. However, the same can be achieved
whilst maintaining compatibility by protecting the cronjobs with a

 [ -d /run/systemd/system ] || ...

See my suggested patch in #1055994[1]. That seems a much more sustainable
approach to encourage to me.

What do others think?

Mark

[1]  https://bugs.debian.org/1055994