Upgrade Bullseye to Bookworm, and getting of rid of systemd?

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Thu Jun 22 19:26:57 BST 2023

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 08:05:06PM +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2023, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
>
> >    apt --purge install sysvinit-core libnss-systemd-
>
> Why don’t you remove libnss-systemd *after* the reboot? Seems safer.

I've noticed painfully long hangs with it, so I nuke it as soon as I can.
It's just pain-avoidance.

> >    apt --purge install libelogind0 systemd-
>
> Note that a switch to libelogind0 is not necessary unless you either
> use elogind, which I can only disrecommend because it changes the
> system behaviour, or for ideological reasons. Keeping libsystemd0 is
> also workable.

I'll actually go one further. Whether this is bugworthy or not I don't
know, but while libelogind0 is acceptable as a substitute for libsystemd0
for things running, for boxes building things, I've been forced to
reinstall libsystemd0 to get coherent build dependencies.

And for clarity, my reasons for purging as much systemd as I can are mostly
ideological. We already have a libc. That libsystemd0 shows up so often
you'd think it's a second libc feels like bad design.

> >    avahi-daemon:any
>
> ?!?!?!

Also ideological. Having read enough of the source and heard enough of the
design goals, I generally avoid Lennart's software. (PulseAudio too while
we're in there.) That said, too many things link the Avahi libraries, and
we're not Gentoo where I could tell them not to.

And for the ringer, I also try to not have dbus wherever possible.

> >    src:usrmerge:any
>
> I highly doubt that src: prefix works. And don’t do that for bookworm
> anyway.

For clarity, I only suggest it because 1) it works, 2) I've tested it to my
satisfaction, and 3) I've got multiple Bookworm systems installed and in
general use where it's pinned away unproblematically. I was actually
willing to give UsrMerge a try when I realized that without extra measures,
Bookworm was going to force it in, but then someone on a public IRC channel
asked a question I could answer with a dpkg search, and the very first
search I did was broken by UsrMerge. To use a baseball analogy, it hit a
home run on the first pitch, top of the first inning.

--
Mason Loring Bliss   ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason at blisses.org     ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped