Draft of email to debian-devel

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Tue Jun 20 18:22:05 BST 2023

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 11:53:32AM +0100, Mark Hindley wrote:
> I agree, the failure mode isn't immediately apparent. I will try to clarify
> that.

The original reporter has now said he *feared* the loss of the src:mdadm
initscripts would render his system unbootable[1], but hasn't verified.

So I think the reference to #1037496 needs to be removed:

    "Debian Policy no longer requires that packages which provide a systemd .service
    file also provide an initscript. This permits maintainers who so wish to remove
    initscripts from their packages. However, initscripts remain used and useful[1],
    and uncoordinated removal can have significant effects on users' systems."

Does that now sound weak without a specific example?

Mark

[1]  https://bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=762#42

--
Mark Hindley
GPG: 506C 15A4 2B0A F5A0 A854  23EE D28A 45BF 3287 D649