Draft of email to debian-devel

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Tue Jun 20 11:53:31 BST 2023

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 12:18:47PM +0200, lorenzo wrote:
> Can you elaborate on this? I may be wrong, but I don't understand how
> the removal of mdadm script can render the system unbootable: the
> script runs mdadm in monitor mode and starts in runlevel 2. There is no
> script (removed) in runlevel S, I suspect a fail to boot will involve a
> problem in the kernel or in udev rules (that are still there)?

Hmmm.

The original report was Devuan[1] and that aspect seems to have been accepted by the mdadm
maintainer[2]. But I don't use it myself and haven't verified. I agree, the
failure mode isn't immediately apparent. I will try to clarify that.

Thanks.

Mark

[1]  https://bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=762#5

[2]  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1037496#10