remove systemd while debian runs on systemd [was: Jokes on monday morning, at least where i am its monday morning]

Sabrina sabrina at pep.foundation
Mon Apr 4 15:00:19 BST 2022

Hi,

On 4/4/22 14:13, tito wrote:
> Hi,
> testing it on a standard Debian 11 XFCE install it seems not be
> like you said, systemd is not removed only systemd-sysv and
> libpam-systemd. If you want to enjoy a really systemd free
> system you could try Devuan whose devs jump through hops
> to make that possible and you will find also instructions
> about migration from Debian to Devuan.

I swear I installed debian from the netinstall-amd64 installer,
rebooted, installed vim and then wanted to change to sysV init.
So I installed sysvinit-core. And the first time I did not even watch
what was written because well.. done it 50 times, know it all. ;-)

And then I sat there with a black screen and a blinking terminal
cursor..system dead!
...I repeated that twice because I was so stunned that apt would remove
packages of a running system.. before it would do that apt used to echo
something like;  cannot remove systemd on PID 1 running..

On the other hand, on the machine I am writing from, I have devuan
installed.

Thanks a lot. Looking later into it and answering the other email.

Cheers,
S.
--
Sabrina