Support for IPv6

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Mon Dec 27 15:34:30 GMT 2010

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> FWIW, I did some work on ADNS back in 2008 to migrate the build system
> to autotools and libtool.

I often find talk about "autotools" misleading (like "intellectual
proeperty", it lumps very different tools together). As long as I
remember, adns has always used autoconf.

> This was required to make a working port to Windows.

It's no big deal to support w*ndows without dragging libtool into it
(for an example, look at nettle; if there are any w*ndows-related
problems there, it's due to bad testing, not anythng fundamental in the
build system). I fully understand anyone who prefers to avoid using
libtool; a 9000+ line shell script wrapped around each call to the
compiler and linker is clearly not the right place to figure out which
command line flags to use. It could possibly make sense projects *not*
using autoconf, but that seems to be an unusual case these days.

> Simon also asked about this some time ago, thus I put up a git repo of
> the latest tarball at:
>
>    git://git.gnupg.org/adns.git

Nice, although I'd personally prefer a more minimalistic fork which
doesn't rip out and replace the build system.

Regards,
/Niels