Off topic: DPA question

Ben Liddicott ben at liddicott.com
Fri Jun 13 08:00:35 BST 2014

On 13/06/2014 00:01, Marcus Williamson wrote:

> Thank you - in this case the email address relates to a living individual.
>
> In my view, their personal (non-business) email address would be personal
> information but their business email address would not be.

I used to think that the mere fact that a person existed, i.e. name and
date of birth, were not personal data. However the courts have now taken
the opposite view.

An email address directed to an individual rather than a role certainly
uniquely identifies them in the world. That is now enough to make it
personal information on its own - if it also identifies their name and
place of work, then all the more so.

That's X. What's Y? In all likelihood processing information relating
primarily to email transmission and to the person's work will be fair
for most purposes because you have invited it by having a work email
address. (What is it for if not sending and receiving email about work?)

I am not a lawyer though.

Cheers, Ben