Data retention question

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jul 29 12:07:48 BST 2014

In article <48388DD4-4697-4752-8ECF-9A98867DC413 at batten.eu.org>, Ian
Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> writes
>> But being able to show where emailed death-threats (eg from an estranged ex-partner) were coming from might help.
>
>We've functioned perfectly well as a society without needing to log the sender of every piece of paper mail
>posted.  Why does electronic communication need more accurate logging?

On one hand the paper letter may have a postmark, fingerprints, and DNA
under the stamp, and perhaps even handwriting to look at. On the other
hand electronic communications make "everything" faster and easier.
Including what the villains do. Isn't it fair to also allow law
enforcement to benefit a little too?