Data held by ISPs

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 17:39:35 GMT 2014

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 08:20:51 -0000, Roland Perry
<lists at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In article
> <CAJ-LMZVwnWHR8oR=kHqQf1hcrdVNzB-V=1wWrUu4sd65rKU9Fw at mail.gmail.com>,
> Mark Harrison <mark at dizzymoth.co.uk> writes
>> </snip>
>> IP addresses (of the subscriber) are personal data.
>>
>> Although it's taken a long time for this to be nailed into law (rather
>> than denied by the MRD brigade).
>> </snip>
>>
>> I'm surprised. IP addresses from ISP's are shared. They are rarely
>> given to end devices but rather routers that are also shared. How could
>> they be classed as identifiable? To whom under the law?
>
> Some routers are shared, others aren't[1]. But what you've asked neatly
> summarises the conceptual wrangle that's being going on. One camp says
> that because some IP addresses are shared, then none of them ought to
> qualify as Personal Data; the other camp says that if some of them
> aren't shared, then all of them ought to be given the respect accorded
> to Personal Data - especially when it's hard to tell which are which.

For a router with a fixed IP address (like mine), that IP address
identifies me (or the small number of people with accounts on my machine).

For a leased IP, the combination of the IP and the time are equivalent to
a fixed IP. Just needs the cooperation of the ISP to decode it. But I
would expect the table of IP leased against time would be traffic data,
and hence demandable by TPTB (but not by any random Tom, Dick or Harry,
because the IP/time combination is surely Personal Data). Whether ISPs can
be forced to retain this data for some specified period I don't know, but
if such is not lawful at the moment, for sure it soon will be.

--
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own