Electronic money

Derek Fawcus dfawcus+lists-ukcrypto at employees.org
Thu Dec 4 21:13:45 GMT 2014

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 09:39:14pm +0000, Mark Lomas wrote:

> Funnily enough only coins are legal tender in Stirling [true but :-) ]. No
> banknote is legal tender in Scotland.
>
> *Sterling *banknotes, £5, £10, £20, and £50, are legal tender in England
> and Wales, but not Scotland or Northern Ireland.

I guess one of the lawyers could dig up the ruling,  however...

I recall reading about a Scottish Court decision (Court of Session?),
which established that despite the notes in circulation not being legal tender,
for practical purposes they have to be treated as if they were.

Some guy had chosen to pay his council tax in cash,  the council refused,
and it went to court.  The decision was that it would not be sensible
for the council to refuse payment by notes in favour of 1 pound coins,
and hence the council had to accept the notes.

DF