Unsecured wifi might be contributory negligence

Mary Hawking maryhawking at tigers.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 19:13:50 GMT 2012

From: Mark Lomas [mailto:ukcrypto at absent-minded.com]
Sent: 17 February 2012 18:46
To: nbohm at ernest.net; UK Cryptography Policy Discussion Group
Subject: Re: Unsecured wifi might be contributory negligence

>Ladder keepers might fall prey to the doctrine of 'attractive nuisance'.
You have a duty to protect children against the dangers of anything they may
find attractive but not recognise as dangerous.

>Originally the danger itself needed to be attractive (e.g. a swimming
pool), but I understand that some jurisdictions now consider any unguarded
danger to be an attractive nuisance.

>In particular, a warning sign may be considered inadequate protection,
especially if the child is too young to read it.

Could you elaborate on this doctrine and whether it is a legal one? It's new
to me.

Sounds as though it could be used for almost anything - children being
evolutionally programmed (like adults) to be curious about new experiences:
does the duty (if there is one) extend to adults and how is it defined?

Do guardians of children have a corresponding duty to prevent them
experiencing anything not legally guaranteed to be totally free from any
risk whatsoever?

And how is this enforced?

Mary Hawking
"thinking - independent thinking - is to humans as swimming is to cats: we
can do it if we really have to."  Mark Earles on Radio 4.

and don't forget patients like Fred!

http://primaryhealthinfo.wordpress.com/2011/12/11/fred-and-his-dog-an-update
/

Primary Health Info 2012

23rd - 25th April 2012, Chesford Grange Warwickshire

'Using IT and Information to Deliver Transformational Change'

 <http://www.primaryhealthinfo.org> www.primaryhealthinfo.org