Unsecured wifi might be contributory negligence

Nicholas Bohm nbohm at ernest.net
Fri Feb 17 17:48:48 GMT 2012

On 17/02/2012 17:38, Roland Perry wrote:
> In article <4F3E785C.2090700 at ernest.net>, Nicholas Bohm
> <nbohm at ernest.net> writes
>> Providing tools to a thief makes it sound like aiding or abetting -
>> which is different from neglecting to take steps to prevent a thief from
>> having access to your tools.
>
> That's the distinction which I think policy makers have to discuss.
>
> Liability of intermediaries (even involuntary ones) is still very much
> in a state of flux.

As regards routers (and perhaps as regards car users' parking fines) you
are no doubt right.

I detect no sign of ladder keepers being at risk, however, nor of the
general principle changing.  I think we are looking at a fight over a
small number of exceptions to a well-established rule.

Nicholas
--
Contact and PGP key here <http://www.ernest.net/contact/index.htm>