Transaction history of Paywave cards

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 16:33:59 GMT 2012

On 16/12/2012 15:23, Roland Perry wrote:
> In article <50CD8640.5030306 at iosis.co.uk>, Peter Tomlinson
> <pwt at iosis.co.uk> writes
>>
>> On 16/12/2012 07:56, Roland Perry wrote:
>>
>> "...the Paywave scheme on TfL is aimed largely at tourists (because
>> UK-based regulars will have season tickets or Oysters)"
>>
>> Now I don't speak for TfL, nor am I in any way connected with the
>> project, but even so I cannot disagree more. The entire thrust of the
>> project in things that I see and hear is simplicity for the vast
>> majority of users, together with cost reduction for TfL.
>
> The vast majority of users have season tickets - are those storable on
> a Paywave card?
They will be stored in the back office - this is ticketless travel,
which we all have to get our heads around...

>> There may of course be a risk of loss of loyalty to the Oyster brand
>> as existing users convert to using bank cards, but no matter: as I
>> indicated earlier, the aim is to facilitate the movement of people
>> round London. Visitors to the country who bring full fat bank cards
>> should have no problem using them on London's public transport
>
> Not currently, because they only accept UK-issued Paywave cards.
So next upgrade or three (in conjunction with MC and Visa) they will be
accepting incoming cards...

>> - no need any more to buy an Oyster.
>>
>> A possible unintended consequence will be that uninformed people here
>> in Bristol will be less likely to demand that we have Oyster here -
>
> Oyster in Bristol - that's new one. Wouldn't any new initiatives there
> be ITSO?
I wrote 'uninformed people'.

>> there just isn't the public money to do what they really want, which
>> is cheaper (i.e. subsidised) travel by public transport.
>
> And such folks are already in denial about how much most of their
> public transport is already subsidised.
Exactly. But what they (we) actually want (as well as cheap) is
something accountable, i.e. we can kick ass when it fails and get it
fixed - permanently. This is the new paradigm shift (we now have an
elected but apolitical (sic) Mayor in Bristol).

Peter