More on the "Identity Assurance programme "

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 21:50:41 GMT 2011

Thinking back to the material about the USA's NSTIC that I followed
earlier this year and last year, I got the impression that NSTIC (which
is running a Programme Office) expects the private sector to provide ID
services, because they will want to use them for commercial purposes
(sales over the internet, for example). But NSTIC is about ID services
for everyone (public sector service providers, private sector service
providers, and users both privately and in the course of business). And
I got the impression that big private sector organisations were keen to
get involved. Here we seem to be fixated on public sector only, and of
course that means the ID providers need paying with public money.

This past summer I listened to a presentation that used David Rennie's
material, and my immediate response was that once again its the public
sector doing something to us instead of doing something with us. I have
a feeling that maybe Ian Watmore understands this, but how does he turn
his colleagues round to face the real world? Follow NSTIC is the way to
go, because that is how the big global players will implement secure
online ID. However, as Francis Maude said at the 30th March Public Admin
Commons Committee, this is a very centralised country (I saw this coming
as long ago as 1968, and so did my father who was a reluctant civil
servant, having been dragged in during WWII - he retired in '71 although
he could have gone on for a bit longer).

Peter