Starmer dumps doormat?

Peter Sommer peter at pmsommer.com
Sun Jan 16 08:34:14 GMT 2011

In fact you have two bits of legislation to consider.

If you stick to RIPA and interception,  the general view is that
interception only occurs when something is in the course of transmission
(as Caspar report).  Once it has been received it is no longer "in the
course of transmission" so that there is no RIPA offence.

On the other hand,  if you turn to the Computer Misuse Act, 1990,  the
essence of the offence is unauthorised access to a computer.  "Computer"
was deliberately not defined in the Act so as to allow for a wide degree
of interpretation.    As tape-based answerphones vanished many years ago
one could easily conclude that both desk-based answer phones and the
systems run by the cellphone companies are "computers".

So the prosecution route is via s 1 CMA 1990 -  maximum punishment (I am
pretty sure):  5 years.

Peter Sommer