Iran GPS Spoofing and the RSA Cipher

Brian Gladman brg at gladman.plus.com
Fri Dec 23 08:03:51 GMT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: John Brazier
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 12:18 AM
To: 'UK Cryptography Policy Discussion Group'
Subject: RE: Iran GPS Spoofing and the RSA Cipher

Confused of Horsham:

As I understand it, between block cyphers/stream cyphers/PRNGs (all of which
seem to be different facets of the same thing) there is a wide range of
systems that can extremely efficiently produce a 'random' sequence of bits,
to any arbitrary level of 'randomness'.

Why would anyone use RSA to generate a random bit stream? Its asymmetry
gives benefits, but it's terribly inefficient. That's why it tends to be
used as a key exchange protocol, not a data encryption one.

================================

I am NOT going to argue that this is the reason for using an RSA based
keystream generator in this particular application but one potential
advantage of such generators (see, for example, the Blum-Blum-Shub (BBS)
generator) is that the n'th bit in the keystream can be calculated without
having to run the generator up to this point.

If a key stream generator is going to be run for a very long time without
any re-initialisation and an approximate count of the current bit number is
known, a resynchronisation can be established by calculating a sequence
around this bit number and then locating this sequence in the stream to get
an accurate bit number.

    Brian Gladman

Happy to learn,

John B