Sky blocks Newzbin, important legal and technical questions need answering

James Firth james2 at jfirth.net
Fri Dec 16 12:53:26 GMT 2011

Roland Perry wrote:
> It would be helpful if part of the court order process put an
> obligation
> upon the ISPs doing the blocking to periodically inspect the [Regional]
> IP registry entries of the number ranges in question to determine if
> they have been de-allocated from the original holder, which is an
> inevitable consequence of any transfer.

Agreed, but Arnold, J said exactly the opposite:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2011/2714.html#para12

" In saying this, I do not mean that BT will be obliged to check IP
addresses or URLs notified by the Studios. It will be the Studios'
responsibility accurately to identify IP addresses and URLs to be notified
to BT."

(Note nothing about removal)

> There isn't such a shortage of IP addresses that a few thousand (or
> even
> tens of thousand) put into quarantine makes much difference.

But there is still the business of identifying them of being in quarantine
in the first place, and maintaining this list (adding/removing).  9
reasonably-sized ISPs in the UK, plus potentially other countries.

Systems for managing spam blacklists have evolved over the last 20(?) years.
This is new and is driven by a different set of motives.

James Firth