Sky blocks Newzbin, important legal and technical questions need answering

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Dec 16 11:59:38 GMT 2011

In article <003601ccbbcc$135fcdf0$3a1f69d0$@net>, James Firth
<james2 at jfirth.net> writes
>How would one go about writing to the rights holders or the High Court to
>tell the ISPs to remove IP addresses no longer being used for the "sole or
>predominant purpose" of providing access to Newzbin?

It would be helpful if part of the court order process put an obligation
upon the ISPs doing the blocking to periodically inspect the [Regional]
IP registry entries of the number ranges in question to determine if
they have been de-allocated from the original holder, which is an
inevitable consequence of any transfer.

>When we have a dozen sites covered by injunctions, a hundred or so "primary"
>IP addresses and URLs, perhaps a thousand "facilitator" sites and
>injunctions covering 9 ISPs each managing their own lists under instruction
>from rights holders... I can't see this ending well at all.

There isn't such a shortage of IP addresses that a few thousand (or even
tens of thousand) put into quarantine makes much difference. There are
hundreds of millions of addresses squirreled away for other reasons that
need to be mopped up first.