Shopping centre uses mobile phone data to "monitor visitor levels"

James Firth james2 at jfirth.net
Tue Aug 23 16:28:51 BST 2011

> > Isn't this capture of traffic data
>
> According to that link "Traffic data means any data which is
> processed: to convey a communication on an electronic communications
> network; or for the billing in respect of that communication"
>
> Base station polling doesn't actually convey communications nor is it
> used for billing. So I guess its not traffic data.
>
> OK the same equipment that captures the polls and the TIMSIs might
> also be used to tell if a phone call is in progress, which is  traffic
> data, but you'd have to show that they are doing that.

After a tip from @antonyslumbers via Twitter it seems Path Intelligence have
a prior association with Land Securities:
http://www.pathintelligence.com/en/blog/81-measuring-event-effectiveness-

Path Intelligence make some brave assertions, such as:
"In developing FootPathT we have ensured that you cannot, at any time, be
personally identified as a result of your travel through premises in which
FootPathT operates."

http://www.pathintelligence.com/en/products/footpath/privacy

James Firth