Card transactions by proxy

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Apr 6 09:18:58 BST 2011

In article <4D9C186A.2090604 at callnetuk.com>, Peter Mitchell
<otcbn at callnetuk.com> writes
>>  A friend in the USA gets his pay, just like I do, by bank transfer
>>from the  employer. Except that a few months ago he discovered that it
>>was actually a  sort of reverse DD: the employer had a cash flow issue
>>and just took back  everyone's pay a couple of days after he'd paid
>>it! Does anyone know if  that can happen here?
>
>Certainly it can, the employer simply tells the bank they have DD
>authority over those accounts. The bank doesn't check, any more than it
>checked Jeremy Clarkson.

Wouldn't the bank check to see if the employer was registered with them
for doing DDs *at all*?

Some employers would have DD arrangements in place to get money from
their [retail] customers, but its far from universal.

As a consultant, it does strangely appeal to me that I could do a DD on
a late-paying client's bank account (and wait for them to complain). But
somehow I don't think that's possible.