Contactless bank cards

Ian Mason ukcrypto at sourcetagged.ian.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 02:48:22 GMT 2010

On 18 Nov 2010, at 17:28, Roland Perry wrote:

> In article <B904FFC8-7ADB-478E-8430-
> C66FBA4E9CA6 at sourcetagged.ian.co.uk>, Ian Mason
> <ukcrypto at sourcetagged.ian.co.uk> writes
>
>> However, even in circular form it would easily fit the "Entrance
>> £5" scenario posited by Nick (I think) where it could be concealed
>> in a premise's entrance, or disguised as one of the loop antenna
>> used in shop entrances for theft prevention, which we all walk
>> past and  ignore every day.
>
> But will be discovered as soon as one person challenges their
> credit card bill. It's not the kind of thing a rogue minimum wage
> employee is going to set up.

No, it requires corporate fraud, sadly the norm nowadays. I've been
in trouble for being the "one honest man" before now - no names, no
pack drill.

Nick's scenario is the most realistic threat - "Admission £5.00". I
realise that you and Jennifer would never stumble into a low dive
like that; unless you were with me, or Goodwins, or Oliver, or many
of the other reprobates that you know. :=)

>> In practice, I think this is probably a greater  threat than purse
>> surfing or whatever moniker we come up with for it.
>
> Purse surfing is a good name.

It has a ring, better still, it has a slightly salacious note. I
don't know why, but it does. I expect to be cited correctly. ;-) [Fx,
Homer voice: Mmmmm, purse surfing]