Consultation on change to RIP interception definition

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Thu Nov 11 14:52:49 GMT 2010

Francis
Thanks, that does answer my question and confirms my suspicion of what it would mean. And thanks for (telepathically) expressing my vague concern so precisely :-)

So deleting the "reasonable belief" clause would mean that a deliberate interception lost its lawful authority under 3(1) as soon as it was shown that the *person* intercepted had not given their consent (e.g. because it was their spouse or parent, who pays the bill, who had done so). The ISP couldn't defend themselves by saying it was reasonable for them to take the subscriber's consent as applying to any user of that account/keyboard, because the remaining text would only leave the question of fact as to whether that person had consented. I wonder whether this was exactly why the original drafting included that phrase...

In which case I wonder whether any ISP would take the risk of launching a behavioural advertising service even if it was genuinely opt-in, since they'd always be at the mercy of a second user of the account/keyboard saying that it wasn't them who opted in.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser, JANET(UK)
Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcott. OX11 0SG UK

JANET, the UK's education and research network