Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Wed Aug 4 15:11:30 BST 2010

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:06:36 +0100, Roland Perry
<lists at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> My common sense says that if I am unauthorised to view a web page, then
> it will return some kind of error which demonstrates that I have not
> presented valid credentials.
>
> Although I am aware that this falls foul of the Law Enforcement model
> that if you stumble over an unlocked door, that doesn't mean you are
> allowed to open it and go inside. Although I might characterise it more
> as looking through a window where someone has failed to draw the
> curtains.

But where there is a well understood convention/understanding that
unlocked doors in a particular street inply an invitation to enter, that
would not apply.

In the case of the WWW, that convention is widely understood to apply.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.