[Debian-uk] UK DSL _modem_ recommendation

Antony McLellan antonymclellan1967 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 12:52:40 BST 2016

On 11/08/2016 20:11, Antony McLellan wrote:
> Like Mike, I've run my Gentoo box as a NAT router connected to my ADSL
> connection for the last 3-4 years.
> I used a second-hand (few quid) BT Voyager 190 with flashed firmware
> as an Ethernet modem. This connection used no accepted standard, but
> it worked.
>
> My exchange was finally upgraded to CN21 and ADSL 2+ became available.
> I needed a new modem and the only one I could find was a Draytek Vigor
> 120. It has run well until a few days ago and then it gave up (8
> months on total). With no internet my daughter was giving me grief so
> I needed an alternative quick. In the loft was an old (2007) D-Link
> DSL-2680 ADSL 2+ Router originally a "gift" (Zero pounds). This was
> easily configure to "PPPoE over PPPoA" and it became a temporary
> replacement.
>
> The only problem left is, my daughter will not let me take the
> DSL-2680 out of service.
>
> Mike, thanks for an interesting thread,
>
> theDuck01

With my Draytek Vigor 120 dead the question is, what else can I choose
from? So far I have discovered:

  * Motorola Netopia 2210 DSL Modem
  * Netgear DM 111P V2 Ethernet ADSL 2+ Modem
  * D-link-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem
  * Zyxel P-660M ADSL2+ Modem
  * TP-Link TD 8817 ADSL2+ Ethernet/USB Modem

I have only added this information as it might save others some time.

Regards,

theDuck01