What about services that only have systemd service files

Lorenzo plorenzo at disroot.org
Mon Mar 6 12:57:52 GMT 2023

Hi,

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 07:26:42 +0000
Mark Hindley <mark at hindley.org.uk> wrote:

> Whilst I appreciate Matthew's willingness to accept 2), I still
> consider 1) the better solution. I hope that many maintainers will
> accept a tested patch with offer to continue support. So I think that
> should be the first route.

For systemd users services, like wireplumber or pipewire, there are
problems with 1):

 A) services are meant to be run with the user that logs in (for
    example Martin's user) and we don't know in advance the name/UID of
    the user

 B) services are meant to be started when the user logs in and stopped
    when he logs out

I think anyone sending a patch with a sysv script (or runit/openrc) for
such services should have a solution for A and B first. Or a solution
already exists and I'm missing it?

Lorenzo