What about services that only have systemd service files

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Mon Mar 6 07:26:42 GMT 2023

On Sat, Mar 04, 2023 at 05:37:17PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am using runit with runit-services on my system. It works well. Thanks
> Lorenzo for your work on runit-services.
>
> I just came across two packages that probably never had anything else
> than a systemd service file. zcfan as well as wireplumber previously
> discussed here.
>
> What would be the best approach about these? I ponder about the
> following approaches
>
> 1) Asking the package maintainer to include an init script or runit
> service dir. Of course it would be best to provide one with the bug
> report. May or may not work.
>
> 2) Adding an init script to orphan-sysvinit-scripts. However if there
> never was an init script for it, how could it be orphan? Adding support
> for the service in runit-services.

Whilst I appreciate Matthew's willingness to accept 2), I still consider 1) the
better solution. I hope that many maintainers will accept a tested patch with
offer to continue support. So I think that should be the first route.

> 3) Research translating at least basic systemd service files into
> something that works for non systemd services.

I have looked at this. There is contrib/sysd2v/sh in src:sysvinit/contrib and
systemd-unit-translator[1] to openrc scripts.

Neither is complete but I did some work to improve both a while ago. They work
for basic cases, but socket-activation is still problematic: socket-activate is
inactive[2]. There is a suggestion that dpkg might gain socket-activation support
which might help[3]

Mark

[1]  git at git.devuan.org:leepen/systemd-unit-translator.git

[2]  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/socket-activate