Draft of email to debian-devel

tito farmatito at tiscali.it
Tue Jun 20 20:18:25 BST 2023

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 18:22:05 +0100
Mark Hindley <mark at hindley.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 11:53:32AM +0100, Mark Hindley wrote:
> > I agree, the failure mode isn't immediately apparent. I will try to clarify
> > that.
>
> The original reporter has now said he *feared* the loss of the src:mdadm
> initscripts would render his system unbootable[1], but hasn't verified.
>
> So I think the reference to #1037496 needs to be removed:
>
>     "Debian Policy no longer requires that packages which provide a systemd .service
>     file also provide an initscript. This permits maintainers who so wish to remove
>     initscripts from their packages. However, initscripts remain used and useful[1],
>     and uncoordinated removal can have significant effects on users' systems."
>
> Does that now sound weak without a specific example?
>
> Mark
>

> [1]  https://bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=762#42

Hi,
I would rather investigate the missing of /etc/init.d/mdadm-waitidle:

# Short-Description: Wait for MD arrays to become idle
#                    before halt/reboot.

I suspect that if the arrays are shutdown in a un-clean way at
every shutdown/reboot this could lead to corruption and the arrays
boot in degraded mode. If the root filesystem is a raid array
(different than RAID1) even if /boot is on a non-RAID partition
the system could be rendered unbootable.

Ciao,
Tito