Bullseye release notes / install instructions for alternative inits

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Fri Jul 23 15:29:35 BST 2021

Martin and Matthew,

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 12:10:48PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > The best time to perform the switch is after the "Selecting and
> > installing software" stage [link to 6.3.6.2]; though note that the
> > default GNOME desktop environment will only work with systemd - so if
> > you want a desktop environment installed, then deselect GNOME and
> > select another (Xfce, for example, works well without systemd).
>
> GNOME does not work at all? I thought it would be working in Devuan, but
> maybe I am mistaken.

Gnome certainly works in Devuan and I thought it did in Debian as well.

> I also know that KDE Plasma works just fine. No matter whether on X11 or
> Wayland. Also Pulseaudio works.
>
> Which other desktops are known to work? XFCE is for sure, it is the
> standard desktop in Devuan. Did anyone test any other?

I have test installed cinnamon, mate, budgie lxqt and lxde during the bullseye
cycle.

> The package "libpam-elogind-compat" from Debian experimental repository
> is no longer necessary? I think I still have it installed on my one
> Debian Sid installation – all other systems are Devuan by now.

I will have to check how many outstanding libpam-systemd dependencies exist
that have not been changed to default-logind | logind. Certainly gdm3 is one. It
was said that gdm3 requires systemd --user, but I have had reports of it working
fine with libpam-elogind.

Mark