A package for orphaned sysvinit scripts

tito farmatito at tiscali.it
Sat Jan 2 20:08:06 GMT 2021

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 18:45:39 +0000
Matthew Vernon <matthew at debian.org> wrote:

> On 02/01/2021 18:40, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Matthew Vernon - 02.01.21, 16:11:40 CET:
> >> I think the least-bad answer is something like:
> >
> > Ok, I try to at least give a somewhat constructive answer to this,
> > instead of just mentioning that I consider Debian => Devuan and be
> > done with it.
>
> Thanks :) I do understand the "fsck it, just run Devuan" desire! But
> I am still (perhaps foolishly) trying to make sure bullseye (and
> later) can run with multiple init systems, not just systemd.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthew

Hi,

I know that I don't know, nonetheless from my perspective
of ignorance I would do:

1) modify on the fly the depends of the main package
      and resign (they are signed, aren't they?)
      This could be eventually "automagicalized" or scripted
      somehow (i hope it....at least) .

2)  create mini package with only the initscript plus the
      normal machinery to install, enable etc. the init script.

So you want e.g: network-manager but you get
 network-manager + network-manager-initd

Maybe the initscript could be done in a bit more robust way
with daemon path detection and so on to prevent breakage
if things are shuffled around in the main package.
That way you do it once with the least possible effort and in
a future geological era the init-package could be even
backported to debian.  ;--P

Just my 0,2 cents

Ciao,
Tito