A package for orphaned sysvinit scripts

Joost van Baal-Ilić joostvb-debian-init-diversity at mdcc.cx
Sat Jan 2 17:24:34 GMT 2021

On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 03:11:40PM +0000, Matthew Vernon wrote:

> While the TC has not yet ruled on #975075, my reading of the tea leaves is
> that they are not going to overrule the maintainer on removing the
> network-manager sysvinit script.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of which packages are affected? I imagine it's more
> than just network-manager?
<snip>

> I'd be interested in other perspectives on these approaches, mindful that
> we're not over-endowed with time...

I really like the dh-runit approach, with the extra runit-helper package.  We
used to have dh-systemd.  I guess it's time for a dh-sysvinit?

(Not sure yet on how implementation would work, especially without changing
all init-using source packages.  Perhaps dh_installinit could get enhanced
with some hook somewhere.

My € 0,05.

Bye,

Joost